The Jazz Band is designed to educate students about proper jazz technique and performance. As part of the ensemble, students learn proper playing and breathing technique, tone production, basic music-reading skills, intonation, blending, and interpretation. As a wide variety of repertoire is studied, students are exposed to both traditional and contemporary jazz styles. Students will also be exposed to basic techniques of improvisation and other creative jazz skills. The ensemble performs at various school, community, and state events throughout the year and has received “A” ratings at both the state and national level.
1. be able to play in unison and harmony, using proper instrumental technique.
2. be able to read basic melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic notation.
3. develop their listening and problem-solving skills as they work together in a group setting.
4. learn how to listen and to blend tones with proper phrasing and dynamics.
5. be able to identify and follow basic conducting patterns and cues.
6. understand the effect of a healthy lifestyle on one’s musical abilities.
7. develop a sense of respect for self and others, as well as a sense of civic responsibility.
8. understand how to interpret and perform music with improved techniques.
9. develop the ability to improvise melodies using a variety of methods.
East Avenue Stroll